Network, limitations and protocols
Consult all the detailed information on the services
The Permanent connection is recommended for security purposes and for the performance.
- “Wired avanzato”, network without speed restrictions.
- “eduroam”: thanks to the “roaming” agreements, Politecnico di Milano’s login details can be used, apart from at the University, wherever there is a signal from the “eduroam” network (other universities or research institutions in Italy or abroad).
- “polimi-protected”: usefull to browse inside Politecnico di Milano.
For permanent connection, the authentication can take place:
- with personal certificate (TLS): secure authentication method, based on a user certificate issued by the Politecnico and installed on one’s devices.
- with personal code and password (TTLS): secure authentication method, which employs as username/password the University’s login details and presents a Politecnico certificate in the authentication phase.
- web (HTTP, HTTPS, passive FTP, Squid, Webcache)
- mail (POP3, POP3s, IMAP4, IMAPs, SMTPs and SMTP submission via STARTTLS)
- secure protocols (SSH, IPsec VPN, OpenVPN, PPTP, RDP)
Requirement and limitations for Wi-Fi networks
- wireless card compatible with the adopted radio standards: IEEE 802.11b (2,4 GHz 11 Mbps) and IEEE 802.11g (2,4 GHz 54 Mbps). For more details see the website Wi-Fi Alliance. The following standards are also available in some areas; IEEE802.11a (5 Ghz 54 Mbps) and 802.11n (2,4Ghz and 5Ghz) and 802.11ac (5GHz )
- operating system, drivers and software that support WPA2 ™ Enterprise. For more details see the website Wi-Fi Alliance.
- ensure that the terminal has been configured for the automatic assignment of the network configuration (DHCP)
- Network communication is not allowed between users of the “polimi-protected” network.
- download speed: 30 Mbps
Requirement and limitations for Wired access
- Ethernet patch cord (UTP with RJ45 plug)
- It is forbidden to connect any network operating system (hubs, switches, routers, access points, …)
- unlimited download speed
- wi-fi access: “polimi
For temporary connection, the authentication takes place through the Captive Portal; the start of the connection is intercepted by a web page, the Captive Portal in fact, which displays a login screenshot to the user.
- web (HTTP, HTTPS, passive FTP)
- secure mail (POP3s, IMAPs, SMTPs and SMTP submission via STARTTLS)
- SSH, University VPN
Requirement and limitations for Wi-Fi “polimi”
- not protected by encryption
- wireless card that is compatible with the radio standards adopted: IEEE 802.11b (2,4 GHz 11 Mbps), IEEE 802.11g (2,4 GHz 54 Mbps)and IEEE802.11a (5 Ghz 54 Mbps) and 802.11n (2,4Ghz and 5Ghz) and 802.11ac (5GHz )
- device with automatic assignment of network configuration (DHCP)
- Network communication is not allowed between users of the “polimi” network. There is a maximum number of concurrent users for each access point.
- download and upload speed: 30 Mbps